May 19th – Weekly Update from Collin Box, Executive Director

I think the top question for everyone remains the same this week – when are we going to be able to play!?! Unfortunately at the moment it looks like we are in the “hurry up and wait” mode.

Oregon Youth Soccer put out their  “Return to Play” Guidelines at the end of last week. You can take a look at them for yourself here.

At this point we are in the process of writing up all our policies for approval from OYSA when the opportunity arises. We are working with consultation from our “Return to Play Medical Committee” that was formed officially last week at the club’s board meeting.

These policies, once approved, will be available to you so that you can see them. Ultimately it will be your decision as a family on when you feel comfortable having your player return to the field, and I want to make it clear that no kid will punished for not showing up to practice if that is the choice your family makes. Every family has a unique situation they are in, and we want to be respectful as well as relieve stress.

In the meantime, we continue to provide content through Google Classrooms, both for recreational and competitive players. This is meant to be a resource to your family if you need it. Our goal is mostly to show that we care and provide an opportunity for connections between coaches, players, and teammates. We know the abrupt end to social interactions between teammates has been especially challenging for our kids, and we want to help in this area.

In other news: 

  • Registration for existing players who plan to play in next year’s competitive programs closed on Friday. Some of you we did not hear back from or are waiting for a response. Please get in touch with us by email or phone now that the form has been closed.

 

  • If you did not play with CFC last year and are interested in joining, please register here. We plan to have more information about a tryout period once it becomes more clear when we will be able to return to the field.

 

  • We have officially made the decision to cancel this year’s Capital FC’s Half Marathon on June 7th. We have also canceled this year’s Capital Cup in light of the new information from the Governor last week. At this point our next big event is our Golf Tournament, which is still planned (but maybe with modifications).

 

  • Our Juniors Program is still within our scenarios that we outlined originally. As we move closer to our drop dead date at the beginning of July, we will have more clarity and communicate directly with you about changes in plans.

 

  • Thank you to the Fred W. Fields Fund of the Oregon Community Foundation for giving us a grant for $25,000 for our GRASSP Program for 2020. Because of the uncertainty of the school situation in the fall and our club’s need, we have been invited to repurpose those funds for operations. We are so thankful for Oregon Community Foundation’s response to this pandemic.

 

Finally, for those who are able please consider making a donation to CFC during this challenging time. We continue to provide a service to our community through the connections our coaches and volunteers are facilitating (at a distance). These connections are a lifeline for kids, and even more necessary in this time of loss and discouragement. Though we have some reserves to draw on, we need your help to be able to keep our coaches engaged with kids through this time.

If you are interested in supporting the club in this challenging time, please consider making a one time or a monthly donation by following this link. 

 

 

I am confident we will emerge from this time stronger than before and more focused on the value we can provide to kids in our community. Better Soccer. Better People. Stronger Community. We are more than a soccer club!

 

 

Collin Box

Executive Director

 

Related Posts